Is an ITIN Only Needed in the USA?

Is an ITIN Only Needed in the USA?

If you have ever spent time living or working in the United States as a foreign national, you may wonder who needs an ITIN number. Even if you currently live in a different country, you will need to obtain an individual taxpayer number (ITIN) to report income that you have earned from U.S. sources. The ITIN is a nine-digit number used to identify you with the IRS for tax purposes. It is required for anyone who has earned income in the U.S. but is a resident or nonresident alien or is not eligible for a Social Security number.

ITIN Application Process

Now that you know you need one, you're likely concerned about where to get an ITIN number. This identifier can be requested from the IRS for free by filling out Form W-7. You'll need to provide a certified copy of your passport, which proves your identity and your foreign status, or submit two certified documents that provide the necessary proof. If you live outside the United States, you can get your documents certified by visiting a Certified Acceptance Agent in your country or while traveling in the U.S. 

Understanding Income Tax Withholdings

When you work for a U.S. employer, you have the option to withhold earnings using the W4 federal income tax form. This document, called the Employee Withholding Allowance Certificate, tells your employer how much money to take out of each paycheck for taxes. This helps ensure that you will pay enough during the year to avoid a large tax bill after you file your income taxes. 

Let ITIN W7 Application help you get an ITIN number online. We walk you through the process with our easy ITIN application, which provides a step-by-step guide to the information and forms you must provide. If you need help, our representatives are available via email and chat to provide guidance in both English and Spanish.