Required Documentation to Accompany W-7 Form
The IRS requires specific identification documents to verify your foreign status and your identity. The main document required is a valid Passport.
- Passport - the only document you can submit alone/without any other of the documents
Using your passport (either original or certified copy) is the most recommended, because using a passport, you do not need to submit any other documents. You must use the physical, Original Passport, OR, you can use a Certified Copy of the passport by a Certified Issuing Agency.
- Original Passport
- Valid, Unexpired Original Passport Document
- Certified Copy of Passport from a Certified Issuing Agency
- This is a copy of the document that the original issuing agency provides and certifies as an exact copy of the original document and contains an official stamped seal from the agency.
- You may be able to request a certified copy of the documents at an embassy or consulate.
If you do NOT have a valid (unexpired) Passport, you must use 2 of the following documents in combination with each other. One document to prove your Foreign Status, and one document to prove your Identity. See the chart below on which documents can be used.Listed below are the only documents that will be accepted by the IRS. An "X" in the Foreign Status and/or Identity column, indicates that the supporting documentation satisfies that category.
A valid (unexpired) passport is the only stand-alone document to prove both identity and foreign status.
|Type of Supporting Documentation||Foreign Status||Identity|
|Passport (the only approved stand-alone document)||X||X|
|United States Citizenship & Immigration Services (USCIS) Photo ID||X||X|
|Visa Issued by the US Department of State||X||X|
|United States Driver's License||X|
|United States Military Identification Card||X|
|Foreign Driver's License||X|
|Foreign Military Identification Card||X||X|
|National Identification Card||X||X|
|U.S. State Identification Card||X||v|
|Foreign Voter's Registration Card||X||X|
|Civil Birth Certificate||X||X|