Can I apply for my ITIN without my tax return?

Can I apply for my ITIN without my tax return?

The American workforce is full of foreign nationals who don’t qualify for a Social Security Number (SSN) but still pay taxes by registering for an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN). When you apply, you’re normally required to include a federal tax return along with the identity verification documents to be submitted for ITIN, but there are some exceptions:

- You get third-party withholding on passive income

- A third party reports your mortgage interest

- You’re a member or owner of an LLC business

- You’re exempt under the rules of Treasury Decision 9363

- You’ve profited from the sale of property in the United States

- You’ve collected salary, wages, honoraria payments or gambling winnings that are exempt due to a tax treaty

Should you meet any of these circumstances, you may be able to apply for ITIN without a federal tax return, but they all require their own forms of documentation. If you think you might be exempt, it’s best to consult an expert for assistance.

Types of Documentation

If you’re attempting to make an ITIN application without a federal tax return, it’s important to provide proof to support your claim for an exemption. Most of the time this comes in the form of duly signed letters from your employer, bank, or mortgage holder, but other situations call for legal documents such as employment contracts or business incorporation paperwork. You’ll find a detailed list of exemption criteria and acceptable evidence in the official W-7 form instructions from the IRS. 

Find Out If You’re Exempt 

Submitting your W-7 without the appropriate documentation could delay the issuance of your ITIN, so get help from an expert if you think you’re eligible for an exemption. No matter if you’re a new resident without SSN eligibility or you need to apply for the renewal of an expired number, let the professionals at ITIN W-7 Application simplify the process so you can get back to your normal routine.