Do Non-Resident Aliens Need an ITIN?

Do Non-Resident Aliens Need an ITIN?

Yes, non-resident aliens need an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) if they are required to file a U.S. tax return with the Internal Revenue Service (IRS). Fortunately, applying for an ITIN is convenient. You can complete a W7 form online.

Who Needs an ITIN?

ITINs are used by people filing federal tax returns who are not eligible for a Social Security Number (SSN) from the Social Security Administration. Online international residents and other foreign nationals need ITINs. While there are many situations that may require an ITIN, most people who need one fall into one of a few categories.

-You are a U.S. resident alien filing a federal tax return.

-You are a non-resident alien who is required to file a U.S. tax return with the IRS.

-You are a dependent or spouse of a U.S. citizen or resident alien.

-You are a dependent or spouse of a non-resident alien visa holder.

Both individuals who need an ITIN but do not have one and individuals who have an ITIN that is expiring or expired should submit a W7 federal form. Complete this process quickly and easily using’s simple online application process.

Uses for an ITIN Other Than Taxes

Individuals who aren’t eligible for Social Security Numbers may also use ITINs to build a credit history. The number can be used to apply for credit cards, auto loans and other types of credit with U.S. banks. Not all banks accept applicants who have an ITIN, so check that you are eligible before beginning an application.

How to Apply for an ITIN

Thanks to’s convenient services, filing for an ITIN online is easier than ever. You can download and complete a blank W7 from the IRS; however, many applicants find’s simple, fill-in online form faster and easier to complete. Before submitting a W7 form, review the step-by-step form instructions, including the required documents.