How do I get an ITIN number for an H4?

How do I get an ITIN number for an H4?

Are you wondering how to get an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) for an H4 visa? First, it’s important to understand what an H4 is.

H4 Visa Holder

While an H-1B visa is granted to foreign workers in specialty occupations (by US employers), an H4 visa can be issued to the H-1B visa holders dependent family members. This would include a spouse and/or children who want to accompany the H-1B visa holder during their stay in the US. According to the IRS, an ITIN number is needed by a dependent or spouse of a nonresident alien visa holder. So, you may be wondering, “What do I need to get an ITIN number?”

How to Apply for an ITIN

In order to apply, you’ll need to fill out Form W-7. You’ll need the following documents:

- Original documents with identifying information that match your personal info filled out on the W-7, your connection to a foreign country and must be certified by the issuing agency. These documents cannot be expired.

- A valid Federal Income Tax Return.

- If applicable, a letter of denial from the Social Security Administration. You can either physically mail in the W-7 form or fill it out online with the help of ITIN W-7 Application. Once you’ve completed the application, it usually takes about 6-8 weeks for the ITIN to be processed and assigned to you. If you are unsure of your ITIN status, you can also call the IRS at 1-800-829-1040.

Contact the ITIN Experts

Here at ITIN W-7 Application, we pride ourselves in making it easy to understand what documents to be submitted for ITIN application. We also walk you through ITIN W7 instructions step by step, so you know exactly what you need to collect (as well as do) in order to finish the ITIN documents. Contact us today to eliminate any confusion on the process and to get your application finished quickly!