How do I know if I need an ITIN?

How do I know if I need an ITIN?

If you are a foreign national or otherwise do not qualify for a Social Security Number (SSN) and will be filing a U.S. federal tax return, you most likely need an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN). Anyone who is required to make a tax filing with the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) needs some form of tax processing number. For individuals and families, this is either a Social Security Number or an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number. An ITIN is used by anyone who isn’t eligible for an SSN. To receive an ITIN, you must complete a W7 application.

People Who Likely Need an ITIN

There are many situations that require an ITIN. You need an ITIN if you are making a filing with the IRS and are not eligible for another taxpayer processing number. You will need an ITIN if you are any of the following:

-A non-resident alien who is filing a U.S. tax return with the IRS

-A U.S. resident alien who is filing a U.S. tax return with the IRS

-A dependent or spouse of a U.S. citizen or resident alien

-A dependent or spouse of a nonresident alien visa holder

Only individuals need ITINs. Businesses typically file taxes using an Employer Identification Number (EIN). 

Who Doesn’t Need an ITIN

If you are not filing as an individual taxpayer, you have an SSN, or you are eligible for an SSN, you do not need an ITIN. Similarly, if you have a pending application for an SSN with the Social Security Administration, do not submit a W7 application. Only submit your ITIN form if the Social Security Administration notifies you that an SSN cannot be issued.

How To Apply for an ITIN

Applying for an ITIN online is easy thanks to’s convenient services. Before starting the process, review the instructions for the W7 form. If you are applying under an exception, review the ITIN exceptions table before applying. When you are ready, you can apply for an ITIN online.