If I Am Eligible for a SSN, Am I Eligible for an ITIN?

If I Am Eligible for a SSN, Am I Eligible for an ITIN?

If you were born in another country and plan on living in the U.S. permanently, you can apply for a Social Security Number (SSN) after receiving government authorization. If you wish to earn income in the U.S. and are only living and working here temporarily or telecommuting from your native country, you are required to file income tax returns. An Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) is needed to do so and a W-7 ITIN application form must be filed with the IRS to obtain one. If you later become eligible for and obtain a SSN, your ITIN will no longer be valid and won’t be needed.

What is ITIN used for?

Filing income tax returns and income reporting are the most common uses for an ITIN and a W-7 ITIN form is used to apply for one. 

Who is eligible for an ITIN?

·      Nonresident aliens performing contract work or starting a business in the U.S.

·      Spouse or dependents of a nonresident alien or U.S. resident alien with a visa 

·      Foreign employees residing outside the U.S., but telecommuting for a U.S. company

·      U.S. residents who are fiduciaries of a nonresident alien’s property, trust or estate 

·      Foreign nationals with taxable U.S. investment income, such as capital gains or dividends

·      International students attending a U.S. college or university who receive wages, tips, scholarships or grants

You can file tax returns using an ITIN until you obtain a SSN, and then the ITIN is no longer needed. If you do not become eligible for a SSN, however, an ITIN renewal is required. The IRS will mail a notice informing you when to renew an ITIN, which expires when tax returns have not been filed for three consecutive years.

Applying for an ITIN 

ITIN W-7 Application can get you started with our easy online ITIN application. Obtaining an ITIN enables you to earn income in the U.S. and our support team will help ensure the process goes smoothly.