If I Am Waiting For My SSN, Should I File For My Taxes Under My ITIN?

If I Am Waiting For My SSN, Should I File For My Taxes Under My ITIN?

If you are a non-citizen, it could take some time before you are eligible for a Social Security Number (SSN). While you’re waiting to get your SSN you must provide an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) when reporting earned income to the IRS. An ITIN will no longer be necessary after you obtain your SSN. Until you meet each requirement for social security card eligibility, you must continue using your ITIN to report your income and file your taxes. Once you have been assigned a SSN, your ITIN will expire and will no longer be needed.  

Who Can Get a SSN?

Non-citizens who can get a social security number are those who are authorized to work in the U.S. by the Department of Homeland Security (DHS). You can, however, also apply for a SSN if you can show that it’s needed to accommodate a valid purpose other than earning income. 

How Can I Earn Income in the U.S. Without a Social Security Number?

If you have been authorized to work here by the DHS, but have not yet attained SSN eligibility, you will need to apply for and obtain an ITIN to report income in the U.S. 

In order to verify your identity and foreign citizenship, there are several important documents required for ITIN applications, which can include:

·Valid (unexpired) passport to verify your identity and foreign status

·ID card issued by the U.S. government to verify your identity 

·Visa issued by the U.S. State Department 

·Photo ID issued by the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) 

·Civil birth certificate to verify your foreign status 

·Foreign national or military ID card to verify your identity

·Foreign voter's registration to verify the country of your residence

Simplifying Your First Step 

ITIN W-7 Application makes obtaining an ITIN a headache-free process. Visit our W-7 form instructions for more information about this important first step in your ability to earn income in the U.S. Our support team will be able to assist you and answer any questions.