What Do I Do If I Lose My ITIN Number?

What Do I Do If I Lose My ITIN Number?

If you lose your Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN), you may not need to submit another IRS W-7 ITIN application form to apply for a new one. The IRS will mail you a copy of your number after verifying your identity. You will first need to contact the IRS and you will be asked a series of questions which will verify your identity. If you’re within the U.S., you can call the IRS toll-free at 1-800-829-1040. Outside the U.S., the number to call is 1-267-941-1000 (long-distance phone charges may apply).

What Would Cause the IRS To Not Provide My Lost ITIN?

You will not be provided with your lost ITIN if it has expired. If your ITIN was not included as part of a U.S. federal tax return at least one time during the most recent three consecutive years, the number will expire automatically. In this case, you will need to renew your ITIN by submitting an ITIN number form, also known as a W-7 tax form. 

What Is Needed To Renew an Expired ITIN?

·A check mark in the W-7 form Application Type box (Renew an Existing ITIN)

·A check mark in the appropriate W-7 form’s box indicating what type of applicant you are

·Your name and the name you were given at birth, if it's different

·A current mailing address and proof of foreign residency

·An original or valid passport, or a copy certified by the issuing passport agency  

·Without a passport, at least two other documents required for ITIN verification that prove your identity and foreign citizenship 

Begin the ITIN Renewal Process Online

To get started, our W-7 form instructions will show you how to apply for an ITIN number online. The support team at ITIN W-7 Application is also available to help you with the application process and to answer any of your questions.