What qualifies as a copy of documentation “certified by the issuing agency”?

What qualifies as a copy of documentation "certified by the issuing agency"?

You may not want to send an original document to the IRS. If this is the case, don’t assume you can just make a copy of your passport or ID card at home. In order for your ITIN application to go through, your copies need to be certified.

What Is ITIN Document Certification?

In order to get certified copies of documents to be submitted for ITIN, you’ll need to ask the issuing agency for a copy. Only copies with an official seals stamped on them will be accepted. Some U.S. embassies and consulates provide certification services. If you want to get certified copies of your documents this way, you’ll need to reach out to the appropriate embassy or consulate directly and inquire about their document authentication services. Services vary between countries. 

What Happens If I Send an Original Document?

You may be concerned that the IRS will not return an original document. However, you should be rest assured that any original documents will be mailed back to the address you provide on Form W-7. It may take the IRS a few weeks or months to process your application, so it may take awhile for you to get your documents back. 

Are Extra Documents Required?

If you’re wondering, “what do I need to get an ITIN number?” you may need more documentation. For example, if you’re under 18 years old and don’t provide a passport, you’ll need to provide an original birth certificate–no copies are accepted. For younger dependents, original school records or medical records may be necessary. 

How Do I Know Which Document to Send?

The best way to determine what you should include with your ITIN application is taking a look at our W-7 form instructions. Once you get all your information ready, you can fill out the simplified form via ITIN W-7 Application. If you have any more questions about required documents, don’t hesitate to ask us.